A detailed interactive map that pinpoints the location of some of the historical sites in Wexford Town – A must-see guide for anyone that is interested in Wexford’s Viking and Norman heritage. Here, you’ll find the location of everything from old parts of the town wall to ruined churches and structures that no longer exist. If you scroll down past the map, you’ll see a comprehensive list of sites. Click on the title of one of these sites and its location will be highlighted on the map (note that you may need to use the zoom option on the left of the map, as the site in question may be surrounded by other markers).
A cylindrical mural tower that is situated in Abbey Street. Estimated construction date: 1200AD+.
The old site of Beggerin Island, where St. Ibar had a monastery. Now a part of the reclaimed land that makes up the North Slob.
An old town boundary marker in Windmill Heights. Constructed before the town began to sprawl outwards.
The site of Bride Gate, which was one of six town gates that provided access to Wexford. Dismantled in the 1700s to help facilitate the growth in traffic.
The location of Carrig graveyard, which contains the bodies of many of those who died during the 1798 Rebellion.
The Wexford Vocational College in West Gate used to be the County Club House.
A Crimea War Monument that was built in 1857. Styled after an old Christian round tower.
A small ferry operated from Wexford Quay before Wexford Bridge was built in the 1950s.
The site of a Norman ring-fort castle that was built in 1169. Parts of the defensive ditch that surrounded the castle can still be seen today.
The clinic on Grogan's Road used to be the site of a fever hospital. Used to house victims of epidemics such as cholera. Opened in 1818.
Once the site of a building that was known as Fort View. Visible on Ordnance Survey maps from the 1800s.
The site of Friar's Gate. Taken down in the 1700s to facilitate the growth in traffic.
Red brick houses that were built by Mary O'Connor back in 1892. At the time, O'Connor was the only female architect in Ireland and Britain.
A bronze statue of Commodore John Barry, who was born in Tacumshane, County Wexford. The statue was given to Wexford as a gift in 1956 by the United States.
A rectangular mural tower that was connected to Wexford's town wall.
The entrance to the old bridge, which connected Redmond Road with Crosstown. The bridge was in operation between the 1860s and the 1950s. Nowadays, it is used as the entrance to the Wexford Boat Club.
The Presbyterian Church on Anne Street was built in 1843. Today, it is called the United Presbyterian and Methodist church.
The stone monument in Redmond Square was built to commemorate the Redmond family.
A Norman tower house that is situated in Ferrycarrig. Built by the Roche family in the 1600s.
One of "Twin Churches" that dominate Wexford's skyline. Opened in 1858.
A Norman gate that provided access to the walled town of Wexford. This gate has a tower house built on top of it. Commonly referred to as Westgate Tower.
The general area where St. Doologue's church would have stood. No traces of the church remain.
A place of worship for Church of Ireland members. Believed to be have been built on top of the area where St. Ibar had a mainland oratory.
An old medieval church and graveyard that was once used as a leper hospital.
The ruins of a medieval church and graveyard. The grounds are situated behind a locked gate in Mary's Lane.
A ruined medieval church that is situated at the end of High Street.
The location that St. Peter's church and graveyard once stood on. In the 1930s, the Wexford Garda Station was built on the site.
The site of St. Peter's Church. Demolished in the post-Cromwell period of the 1600s to help repair the walls of Wexford Castle.
The Tate School building, which is situated in Wygram. The building was constructed by Wexford-born Jamaican sugar plantation owner William Tate. Later, it was used by the Wexford Corporation.
Norse-built Catholic church that no longer exists (approximate location).
A monument that was erected in 1793 by the Wexford Corporation as a memorial for Major Charles Vallotton. Marks the area where Vallotton and a number of Irish rebels were killed.
The site of West Gate. Dismantled in the 1700s. Sometimes referred to as Cow Gate.
A cylindrical mural tower on Wexford's town wall. Situated close to Upper George's Street.
Where Wexford Castle once stood. Replaced by a military barracks in the 1720s (hence the name of street Barrack Street).
The site of the old Wexford Courthouse. Badly damaged by a fire in 1921.
The womens section of Wexford Gaol, which was in operation up until the early 1900s.
Site of the old Wexford Infirmary in Hill Street. In 1798, 57 wounded rebels were killed when British forces set fire to the building.