Trinity Street in Wexford was named after the Church of the Holy Trinity, which was a Norse-Irish church that no longer exists.
Short articles and tidbits about the history of County Wexford. Most of the articles in this section are derived from old photographs, journals, letters and oral accounts.
The old Wexford Courthouse was situated on Wexford’s Commercial Quay, directly across from the town-side entrance of Wexford Bridge.
This small street is named after Temperance Hall, which was built during the 1800s.
On Saturday, the 23rd of March, 1916, a traveller woman called Barbara Berry was fatally stabbed in the heart on Wexford’s Main Street.
On the 10th of July, 1931, a 65-year-old woman called Elizabeth Reck was savagely beaten to death near her home in Castlebridge, Co. Wexford.
On Saturday, the 8th of March, 1958, Wexford businessman William Hannan was found unconscious and badly beaten at his sweet shop in Cinema Lane in Wexford Town. The following morning, the 65-year-old shopkeeper passed...
Wexford’s Union Workhouse is an ominous stone building that sits on top of a hill, overlooking the nearby streets of Spawell Road and Walnut Grove. Amongst the...
On the 7th of May, 1910, an 18-year-old Wexford woman by the name of Mary Anne Wildes was found with her throat cut at an apartment in The Bullring.